Thursday, November 10, 2011

Sweet Cream Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie is definitely one of my favorite things about the Thanksgiving holiday. I found this recipe in a cookbook that I received from my aunt, as a gift, and have used many times. It's a collaboration of old-fashioned recipes from the great state of Tennessee- entitled "Moss-Home Dem." I've been making this pumpkin pie recipe for several years now, but recently added my own twist to it and it's gotten rave reviews! It's a little different but delicious. I've had a few people even say that they think it's the best pumpkin pie they've ever had (not all of the compliments were from family members by the way). It's super easy and I'd like to share it with you.


Pumpkin Pie Recipe:

2 cups canned pumpkin
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
9 inch pie crust (homemade or store bought)

(You can also substitute the ginger, allspice, and nutmeg for a couple tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice. If you're going to do this, I recommend the pumpkin pie spice from the Watkins company.)

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and heat until just boiling, stirring often so the ingredients don't burn. This will make the baking much easier. Pour into an unbaked pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let pie cool completely before adding the sweet cream topping.


This recipe originally called for milk, but I prefer using heavy whipping cream. Doing so makes the pie set up better once it's cooled and gives it a rich, creamy texture. I've also added a sweet cream topping to this recipe as well. Even though the ingredients sound like they would not taste well together, I promise that they do. They compliment each other very well.


Sweet Cream Topping Recipe:

1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Stir all ingredients together, making sure they are incorporated well. Put in refrigerator for 1 hour to set back up (the vanilla thins it out when mixed).

Once the pie is cooled and the sweet cream topping is set, spread the topping on top of the pie evenly. If you will not be serving immediately, make sure that you store the pie in the refrigerator due to the sour cream.





I think you'll really enjoy this recipe. It's different and delicious- a nice surprise for your holiday guests!

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment