Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Peach Muffins with Cinnamon-Oat Struesel

I found the most beautiful, large peaches at the grocery store the other day and couldn't resist them. I knew I had this recipe at home and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try it out. Normally, I would use peaches from our peach tree in the backyard, but due to the death of our beloved dog this spring, the raccoons took it upon themselves to get to them before we did. Needless to say, I was bitterly disappointed. I had many plans for these peaches. One being this recipe. But, no use crying over eaten peaches so I made them anyway. My brother-in-law had just returned from Thailand and stopped by for supper to visit and play with the kids. I made homemade chicken and dumplings and corn but these peach muffins were the life of the party. Everyone loved them (adults and children) and had a second round which is always a nice complement. If they like it enough to have a second helping, then you know it's good. I'm sure your family will enjoy them too!


Recipe:

Struesel:
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 cup diced peaches


Prepare struesel:  stir together oats and next four ingredients until crumbly.



Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour and next four ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.



 Stir together butter, milk and egg; add dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Gently stir in peaches.




Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Sprinkle with struesel.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan.





Yields 12 muffins
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment