Friday, June 10, 2011

Helpful Tips For Perfect Cookies Everytime

Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe to post this week. We've been so busy with 4-H meetings, baseball games and basketball camp that I haven't had a spare moment to bake. But here are some great tips I've picked up on over the last several years that I thought you might enjoy. These tips help me achieve great cookies every time.


1. Baking sheets and pans of heavy gauge aluminum bake cookies and bars more evenly that dark, thin metal pans. I prefer using a baking stone (mine came from Pampered Chef). I feel that they bake cookies better than any metal baking surface and they're sturdy and last forever.

2. Only grease the baking sheet if the recipe calls for it. Some cookies spread too thin when the baking sheet is greased and this produces a flat, lifeless cookie. This is another reason why I prefer a baking stone- you never have to grease it before baking because every time you bake it seasons itself.

3. On a humid day, chill the dough for 5-10 minutes before baking to prevent unnecessary spreading.

4. For more evenly shaped cookies, use a cookie scoop. It's super quick and less mess.
    (I purchased mine from Pampered Chef)

5. Unsalted stick butter (room temp) work best for cookie recipes. (A lot of people don't realize that butter can remain at room temperature without spoiling as long as it is in an airtight container. The air is what sours the butter. I keep a few sticks in an air tight container at room temp on hand at all times for last minute baking).

6. Preheat your oven for ten minutes before baking.

7. Bake cookies and brownies on the middle rack of the oven for even baking. Only bake one pan at a time.

8. Some cookies continue to bake even after they're pulled out of the oven. I always check the cookie a couple of minutes before the timer goes off. If they look pretty close to being done, I'll go ahead and pull them out. Doing so, makes for a softer cookie versus crunchy. It's what you prefer.

9. I always let cookies rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before I transfer them to a wire rack to finish cooling off. This makes them easier to transfer because they have stiffened slightly.

10. Make the recipe your own. Experiment. Mix and match ingredients if you want. Create something new. Most of all, enjoy!


There are several baking opportunities coming up for me between birthdays, family reunions and holidays. I have some great ideas I'd like to share with you so stay posted. I'd love to have some new followers. If you like the recipes, join the group.

As always, happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment