Saturday, June 4, 2011

Baked Spaghetti

This recipe is one that I used to make quite a bit but because I'm always trying new things and rotating the dinner menu so that no one gets bored, I tucked it away and haven't made it for some time. I brought it back out and made it last night and let me tell you- this is the ultimate comfort food! It's hearty, beefy, delicious, cheesy... need I go on? It's so filling that we still have half a pan left, which for me is great because that means a break from cooking tonight. (I'm sure you know exactly how I feel. I love to cook and bake but a break is always welcome). I served it with hot, fresh garlic bread and all my boys were full and satisfied.


Recipe:
1 package of spaghetti, cooked
2 tbsp butter
1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1 (24 oz) carton of cottage cheese
1 pound ground beef, browned
1 jar of Chunky Italian spaghetti sauce (any brand, your favorite)
1 package shredded mozzarella cheese or mozzarella slices


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Boil pasta al dente (al dente= until it just gets tender), drain. Put spaghetti back into the pot (no water) and add butter. Stir until the butter melts and coats the spaghetti. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan Cheese; stir to coat. Arrange spaghetti in an even layer in a 13x9x2 baking dish. Spread cottage cheese over spaghetti and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan Cheese.




Brown ground beef and drain. Add pasta sauce and heat until bubbly.




Spoon beef mixture over the spaghetti/cheeses.



Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan Cheese.




Cover with non-stick aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes or until the cheese is a light golden brown.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.




Looks delicious, right? The great thing about this recipe is if there is any left over, it's even better the next day!

This recipe is great for large get-togethers such as family reunions, church fellowships, if you're having company or just for your family.

You can also make a "lower in fat" version by using:
Whole Grain Spaghetti
"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"
fat-free cottage cheese
mozzarella cheese made with skim milk

Speaking of beefy, delicious goodness, I wanted to share with you a blog that I follow called: Stories of a First Generation Farm Wife. She is a good friend of mine who lives in South Dakota and farms with her husband and brother-in-laws. They raise beef cattle. She explains life on the farm and really goes into detail about how farmers live and how a farm is ran. It's so interesting to see where our food comes from and what all farmers have to go through and do just to feed us. When we go to the grocery store and buy meat, we just grab it off the shelf and put it in the cart and don't think twice about where it came from. I want to feed my family the best (as I'm sure you do also) and this blog is a real eye-opener. Not to mention entertaining.
If you have time, please check it out:

www.sdfarmwife.blogspot.com

I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe and as always,
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment