Thursday, May 5, 2011

How Vinegar Can Help Your Kitchen Run Smoothly

I personally am not a huge fan of vinegar when it comes to my food. But over the years, I've learned how vinegar is very beneficial in all areas of the home- especially the kitchen.

First, let me explain vinegar itself. Vinegar can be many things: a healer, a disinfectant, a preservative, an acid and a condiment. Hard to believe since vinegar is the by-product of something gone bad. All vinegar starts as alcohol. Alcohol is created through the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar. When alcohol ferments, it becomes acetic acid- better known as vinegar.
(For example, grapes deteriorate to become wine and then wine ferments to become wine vinegar.)

Throughout history, vinegar was thought to help ward off the Black Plague and prevent scurvy. Recent medical studies have found that vinegar can draw venom from a jellyfish sting and help soothe a sore throat. In some cases, it is also being used to help detect cervical cancer.

Now, how can vinegar help you?

Coffee Pots
I use distilled white vinegar to clean our coffee pot once a month. Vinegar rids any hard water buildup. My husband and I are big coffee drinkers and by the months end it needs cleaned. Using vinegar is a safe, all natural way to clean, remove buildup and disinfect. To do this, just brew one cycle of cold water and 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar. I also use a clean coffee filter to catch any buildup coming from the water spout in the coffee pot.
(My coffee pot has a "clean cycle" but if yours does not just run it through a regular brew cycle.)
Follow with a cycle of clean water. After this, if you still smell vinegar, run another cycle using fresh cold water.


Dishwashers
Unfortunately, I am the dishwasher in our home : )
But I used to have one before we moved and I used vinegar to help keep the lines clean of any hard water buildup. Just add 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar to any empty dishwasher (just pour on the bottom) and run a rinse cycle. This will remove hard water buildup, deodorize the dishwasher and help open up water and drain lines.

Microwaves
To clean my microwave, I place a glass measuring cup with 1 cup water and 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar and boil for three minutes. After removing the measuring cup (be careful it will be hot!) I wipe the inside of the microwave clean with a damp sponge or paper towel. Everything just wipes right out- it's as easy as that!

Ovens
I absolutely hate the strong fumes from chemical oven cleaners. To prevent this, I use distilled white vinegar to clean my oven regularly. I place a glass baking dish filled with 1 cup vinegar and 2 cups of water on the bottom rack and heat at 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes. This helps to soften any "crust" or "spills" in the oven. Then I turn the oven off and let it cool down just enough that I can stand to wipe the oven down. For really stubborn spots, I spray undiluted vinegar on the problem area and let it sit for a couple of minutes and using a plastic scraper, I remove the spot and wipe clean.
Note: if your oven has not been cleaned in a while and there is a lot of buildup, you may have to use a chemical oven cleaner the first time and then clean on a regular basis with vinegar.
Also, if your oven has a "self cleaning cycle" (mine does not), run this cycle first, then spray with undiluted vinegar and then wipe clean when oven is cool enough to touch.


Refrigerators
To prevent mildew buildup on your refrigerators rubber seals, wipe occasionally with a sponge or towel dampened with undiluted vinegar. No need to rinse.

Pots and Pans
Take care of a really greasy frying pan by simmering 1/4 inch of water and 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar for 10 minutes. The oily smell and residue will disappear. Wash as usual.

Clean the burned-on mess off a broiler pan by adding 2 cups vinegar and 1/4 cup sugar to the pan while it is still warm. Soak the pan for one hour, then clean as usual.

Sinks
Deodorize your kitchen drains by pouring 1/2 cup baking soda down the drain, followed by 1 cup undiluted distilled white vinegar and watch how the two react to deodorize and help open up drains.
(Kids love to watch this!)

Counter tops
Wipe your kitchen counter tops with undiluted distilled white vinegar to keep them looking shiny. This also disinfects which is great when preparing food- safe for children and pets (chemical free!)


Baking
When baking red velvet cake, the recipe calls for a small amount of white vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar in my red velvet cake. Any vinegar will keep the red food coloring from fading while baking, but I feel the apple cider vinegar gives it a deeper color and a better flavor.

If I have a recipe that calls for buttermilk and I don't have any on hand, I make my own! In a glass measuring cup, I add 1 cup of whole milk and 1 tablespoon of vinegar (white or apple can be used). Let stand for a few minutes and see how the vinegar curdles the milk. Now you have homemade buttermilk.
(Even Martha Stewart herself does this!)

Use vinegar to determine if old baking soda is still good enough to use for baking. Pour 2 tablespoons vinegar in a small dish and add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Good baking soda should make the vinegar froth significantly.

To make a fluffier (and more stable) meringue, add 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar for every 3 egg whites before beating.



I hope you find these tips as useful as I have. I try to clean as chemical-free as I can and vinegar is a great way to do just that. If you have a helpful vinegar tip, I would love to hear from you.

As always,
Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment